2016 Stonewall Century Ride Saturday, August 6
Registration for the 2015 Stonewall Century is now open.
La Veta and Cuchara are small towns with a variety of inns, lodges, RV parks, and bed-and-breakfasts (B&Bs). Camping is also available at nearby state parks and national forest campgrounds (see below for listings.) Spanish Peaks Cycling has also arranged for local hosts (guest room accommodations in local homes) and "camping" in the high school gymnasium.
Our sponsors include Sammies, Warehouse Suite, and Circle the Wagons RV Park. Find traditional lodging possibilities through our La Veta - Cuchara Chamber of Commerce, 719-742-3676. Their website contains detailed descriptions of local lodging & accommodations, visit www.lavetacucharachamber.com
We encourage you to make your lodging arrangements early, and to "think outside the box" of traditional lodging.The charm of our small towns and sparsely traveled roads is a double-edged sword: we won't have enough motels and B&Bs to accommodate everyone. Consider renting a condo in Cuchara -- many of the condos sleep 8 or more people, so with a bit of planning you can invite several friends and split the costs. Consider staying with a Local Host -- several cyclists stayed with local hosts in last year and are very eager to stay with the same people again. Or consider sacking out at the La Veta school gymnasium -- it's only $10, includes showers, and the money supports our school.
Lodging - Local Hosts
You are invited to stay with local hosts on Friday night before the ride and/or on Saturday night after the ride. Most homes will have separate guest rooms with standard or queen beds, and you will have the opportunity to meet a few of the wonderful people of La Veta, Cuchara, and Huerfano County. Several cyclists who stayed with local hosts in past years are eager to stay with the same hosts this year! Some of the hosts provide breakfasts for their cyclists, but you should assume that your Local Host will provide only a clean bed, hot shower, and a friendly welcome.
If you are interested in this lodging opportunity, please send an e-mail to email@example.com before July 6th. Include in your e-mail (1) your name, (2) number of cyclists/guests, (3) number of beds needed, (4) whether you'll be staying both Friday night and Saturday nights or just Friday, (5) contact information, including phone number and e-mail address. You will be given the name, address, and phone number of a local host. We ask that you contact your host directly to obtain directions and let them know what time you will be arriving. In exchange for lodging, we request that you make a tax-deductible contribution of at least $20 to the La Veta Public Library Building Fund or to the Spanish Peaks Health Care Foundation. You may turn in your contribution when you pick up your registration packet, or mail it in using our standard donation form.
Lodging - La Veta Gymnasium
The school gymnasium in La Veta will be open for camping on Friday night and showers on Saturday. Cost is $10 to cover janitorial fees, and any excess monies will go to fund activities at the school. You do not need to make a reservation. The school will be open for check-in from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Friday. Bring your own sleeping bag, towels, and toiletries.
Camping is available at Lathrop State Park, Bear Lake, Blue Lake, and Indian Creek in the San Isabel National Forest, at Monument Lake, and other sites. There is no camping in the Town Park and please, no sleeping in your car -- we have much better options for you:
- Lathrop State Park, located on Highway 160, 3 miles west of Walsenburg, 12 miles east of La Veta. 719-738-2376 (phone) firstname.lastname@example.org (e-mail)
- Monument Lake, 28 miles south of La Veta on Highway 12, 20 motel rooms, 13 cabins, full & partial RV hookups, tent sites, public showers. 719-868-2226.
- Indian Creek, San Isabel National Forest, Remote, free camping in the national forest, 7 miles southwest of La Veta. Drive through La Veta on Highway 12, half mile out of town, turn right toward Sulfur Springs, then drive 7 miles to the Indian Creek Trailhead. For more information, contact the San Isabel National Forest office, 326 Dozier Street, Canon City, CO 81212, 719-275-4119.
- Circle the Wagons, 126 West 2nd St., La Veta. Motel & RV park located two blocks north of La Veta Town Park. They also have two RV's for rent. 719-742-3233, www.circlethewagonsrvpark.net
- Elk Valley Fly Shop & RV Park, offers a limited number of tent camping sites, $15 includes hospitality room with showers. 5335 Highway 12, La Veta. Located nine blocks south of La Veta Town Park. 719-742-5533 or toll free 866-733-5533
- Bear Lake, Blue Lake Campground, San Isabel National Forest, Camping in the national forest, 18 miles south of La Veta. Drive through La Veta on Highway 12, continue south for 14.8 miles, then "right" (or straight, as the main road curves to the left) and follow the dirt road 4 miles to the lakes. For more information, contact the San Isabel National Forest office, 326 Dozier Street, Canon City, CO 81212, 719-275-4119.
- I Love Lucy's RV Park, 220 W. Grand St, La Veta. Hot showers, full hookups, shade trees, and grassy spaces. Located three blocks south of La Veta Town Park. 719-742-3252.